When you reach the time in your life when you are ready to start a family, it is important to make smart and informed decisions prior to getting pregnant so can you have a healthy pregnancy going forward.
The US Department of Health and Human Services (Office of Women’s Health) recommends the following five tips to improve your preconception health:
- Take Folic Acid daily to lower risk of birth defects – talk to your doctor to determine the proper dosage for you personally.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol.
- Make sure any current medical conditions, like asthma or diabetes, are under control and managed properly prior to getting pregnant.
- Ensure your vaccines are up to date and discuss the use of any over the counter medications you are taking with your doctor to determine if they are healthy for your baby.
- Avoid toxic substances and strong chemicals that could harm your unborn baby.
By taking care of your body at least three months before conception, you will improve your chances of having a healthy baby, as well as expanding on your own health as a future mother. Having Pap tests, screenings, and annual well-woman exams performed are also important to determine if you have any underlying health issues prior to conception.
Advanced Women’s Healthcare in Dallas is here to help you every step of the way. The Ob/Gyns and staff are more than willing to discuss family planning options, health issues, and medication usage with you. Their all-female provider team compassionately cares for their patients’ well-being, and they want you to feel comfortable and relaxed, sharing any concerns or questions you may have as you embark on the journey of motherhood.
The Ob/Gyns at Advanced Women’s Healthcare specialize in both low-risk and high-risk pregnancies, and treat each patient based on her unique needs for every situation. The doctors can also help with fertility issues, as well as provide minimally invasive surgeries for gynecologic conditions.
Getting pregnant can be a big and scary decision, but it can be made even more comforting by having a caring physician design a specific treatment plan tailored just for you and your pregnancy journey. Advanced Women’s Healthcare listens and addresses your concerns so you can feel healthy and more prepared as you begin to grow a new life inside of you. Your health is a priority even before your baby is conceived, so put your prenatal health in the hands of physicians you can trust.