What are fibrocystic breasts?
Breasts that are dense or lumpy (more glandular or nodular tissue relative to fat)
What are symptoms?
- Breast pain, tenderness and lumpiness especially in the upper, outer areas of the breasts
- Breasts may feel rope-like and may be more swollen, heavy or full
- Symptoms worsen before menstruation and are better after
- Have a grade C (>50% <75% glandular tissue) or D (>75% glandular tissue) on mammogram
- Dense breasts make the mammogram harder to read, in severe cases (grade D) additional imaging is needed (bilateral ultrasound or MRI)
- May have a dark brown or greenish discharge from the nipples
- Lumps may change size throughout the menstrual cycle (bigger before)
- Oral contraceptive pills- decrease the hormonal swings
- Decreasing caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate)
- Evening Primrose Oil – changes the balance of fatty acids and decreases breast pain
- Iodine- acts as an anti oxidant to the breasts and decreases cystic formation by affecting estrogen metabolism
- DIM – balances the hormones in the body by affection estrogen & testosterone
Evening Primrose Oil made from the seeds of the evening primrose plant; contains gamma-linolenic acid; can take up to 3 grams daily
Iodine supplementation will improve fibrocystic breasts and can actually remodel the tissue in as little as 6 months; conservative daily dose is 0.8 mg/kg ; I suggest 12.5 mg daily but start slow- 1 pill every third day first month, every other day second month and then daily by the third
DIM (3,3′-Diindolylmethane) supports beneficial estrogen metabolism and is important for breast, colon and prostate health, increases the formation of powerful antioxidants; made from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts; should take 150 mg 1-2x/day; may cause urine to darken Adequate doses of iodine, DIM & Evening Primrose Oil can be hard to find. We carry them here!