Your diet while pregnant should include a variety of foods, and you should focus on healthy eating. Typically, you will need to consume an additional 300 calories a day, but as a general rule, always check with your physician before you make any changes to your diet.
It is important to ensure that each of the food groups is represented in your pregnancy diet. Here is a simplified outline of the American Pregnancy Association guidelines:
- Fruits – 2-4 servings per day
- Vegetables – 4 or more servings per day
- Bread and Grains – 6-11 servings daily (6-11 oz)
- Protein – 3 servings per day (Avoid fish with high mercury content)
- Dairy – 4 servings per day
- Prenatal vitamins